Thursday, April 09, 2009

April 9, 1999

On this day, a tornado ripped through the Northeast corridor of Cincinnati killing four people.

I'll remember the day because that morning I got up and shut my windows because the weather sirens were keeping me awake only to find out that the tornado missed my office by about a mile.

The devastation was quite impressive. you can still see the line of trees ripped out of the nature preserve over by Sycamore High School.

We were out of power through the weekend and I believe the following Monday which makes doing tax returns difficult. But I wasn't sitting around on the top of my roof laying around for someone to save me. I packed up a computer and headed out to a place with electricity so I could at least get something done.

There were blue tarps on roofs for well over a year, much like we have today with the hurricane damage from last fall.

Finally, I'll always remember Al Gore touring the area and promising federal aid to help rebuild. That aid never came but the rebuilding got done without them.

A lesson for future disasters.

No comments: