Eventually, I took him off my links because I never read anything thought provoking.
Well lo and behold, Charles has posted as to why he parted with the right.
1. Support for fascists, both in America (see: Pat Buchanan, Robert Stacy McCain, etc.) and in Europe (see: Vlaams Belang, BNP, SIOE, Pat Buchanan, etc.)
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)
4. Support for anti-science bad craziness (see: creationism, climate change denialism, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, James Inhofe, etc.)
5. Support for homophobic bigotry (see: Sarah Palin, Dobson, the entire religious right, etc.)
6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)
7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech (see: Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Birthers, creationists, climate deniers, etc.)
8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech (see: Hot Air, Free Republic, Ace of Spades, etc.)
9. Anti-Islamic bigotry that goes far beyond simply criticizing radical Islam, into support for fascism, violence, and genocide (see: Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer, etc.)
10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)
And much, much more. The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff.
I won’t be going over the cliff with them.
Here's a news flash for Charles. If you believe all the things noted above are true (which I don't) they were just as true 10-20 years ago. The anti-abortion movement has always aligned with conservatives.
Just because Pat Buchanan calls himself a conservative doesn't make it so. I don't believe I've read one post on a conservative blog who's linked to Pat Buchanan or noted anything he's ever said. He's the token conservative on MSNBC who they like because he rips republicans more than democrats. He's the Pat Caddell of MSNBC.
In fact, unlike Michael Moore (who gets a front row seat at democratic conventions), the only way Buchanan gets into the GOP convention anymore is with a press pass.
While it's true that most republicans don't support gay marriage, it's the exact position of our current socialist president.... and California. Yet, somehow, conservatives are homophobes.
Anti-Islamic bigotry? That was the hallmark of his blog for years. Me thinks Charles is suffering from a fatal bout of psychological projection