Friday, January 01, 2010

New year's resolution

I don't usually make resolutions in general. What I usually do is pick something I've never done before and pursue it as much as I can.

Last year, I went with getting my concealed carry permit and start target shooting. Unfortunately, getting enough ammo to do any substantial shooting proved to be difficult so last year's was kind of a bust.

In other years, I've done, in no particular order, train and run in a marathon, ball room dancing, taking saxophone lessons, this blog, reading and studying the entire Bible, volunteering, etc....

After two different episodes where I was told my blood pressure was through the roof, I went and got a full physical a couple of weeks ago.

Outside of needing to lose weight, everything checked out OK; including the blood pressure. Never the less, I decided to make this year about my diet. I eat a lot of crap; processed foods, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, fried foods, etc. My biggest enemy is processed bleached flour.

If you have ever noticed, every culture has a recipe for some kind of bread. It could be made out of wheat, corn, rice, potatoes and I've always wondered why. I believe the reason is that it is a cheap fuel source.

Given that we all live comparative sedentary lives to our ancestors, isn't eating bread the equivalent to putting jet fuel in a Toyota?

So this year, I'm going to concentrate on what I choose to fuel my body with. My intention to eat foods as God put them on earth and avoid processed crap where I can. Call it the God Diet.

I'll give periodic updates to what I find.

None the less, I'm pretty sure my blood pressure will drop when Obama's out of office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I lost a lot of weight on the "no flour, no sugar" diet. Basically, if food has flour or added sugar, don't eat it. The good news is you get to eat a lot of potatoes, fruit, and other grains for your carbs. It sucks at first, but once you get used to it, you lose all cravings for bread/butter or sweet stuff. It's been over a year now and we still stick with it pretty well without even thinking about it, but we eat bread/sweets a few times a week, but it's not a habit. We haven't bought a loaf of bread from the grocery in over a year. I love potatoes and mexican food (corn chips and tortillas are your friend) so it was easy to cope. As far as sweets go, you can get sugar free instant pudding and add fresh fruit or just do fruit with fresh whipped cream (with Splenda or small amounts of sugar). There is a fair amount of stuff on the internet about it if you try googling it.

-Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Don't forget liquid bread.
Doug Coughlin

Anonymous said...

Here's a good tip: Get a baby spoon and eat with it off of a small plate.

Since you are a runner, make sure you get the aerobic workout regularly to burn calories.

Log onto CarlorieKing.com and see how many calories are in the food you eat. Then keep a log of what you eat.

As for the bread, I don't eat much of it, but when I do most grocery stores have "lite" varieties that have about 45 calories per serving. Even better are the whole grain varieties.

I could go on and on about this but I won't bore you anymore. Do what works best for you. If you want anymore hints let me know. We're about the same age and I manage to maintain a weight of 155 even through the holiday eating spree. (Plus I still enjoy liquid bread. So, there's that benefit)