Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Slavery?

I probably wouldn't agree with Lauryn Hill on the color of the sky.

But I can get with her on this......

Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill stood in federal court Monday and compared her experience in the music business to the slavery her ancestors endured before a judge sentenced her to three months in prison for failing to pay about $1 million in taxes over the past decade.

“I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them,” Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. “I had an economic system imposed on me.”

Hill, who started singing with the Fugees as a teenager in the 1990s before releasing her multiplatinum 1998 album “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,” pleaded guilty last year to failing to pay taxes on more than $1.8 million earned from 2005 to 2007. Monday’s sentencing also took into account unpaid state and federal taxes in 2008 and 2009 that brought the total earnings to about $2.3 million.

So let me make sure I have this right. Someone confiscates the wealth I earned, from a process I didn't agree to, to benefit someone else.

If that isn't slavery or some form of indentured servitude, I don't know what is.

No comments: