Saturday, October 27, 2007

State of the Blog

One year ago this weekend, I started taxmanblog. Most of it was in response to the upcoming election debacle.

When I started this blog, I had know idea what I was doing, so I did what U.S. senators do.... I winged it. I also incorporated the help of others so I would have someone to blame if the whole thing fell apart.

All I knew when I started the whole thing was that I wanted to add something new to the discourse. People are often surprised that I don't watch the news or the weekend programs like Meet the Press. Why should I? What do any of the talking heads on those shows ever add to the debate?

Well, after a year, this has become a serious labor of love. So much so that it has really taken away from my day job; the one that actually pays the bills. But I have to tell you, I do get a rush when fellow bloggers link to our posts, make comments to the issues we raise, get linked to national sites like CNN or the LA Times. It truly feels like we adding something to the debate and maybe altering the paradigm in which we all look at the world.

Since last year here are the vital stats of the blog

We've made over 1000 posts, roughly three per day.

We're currently ranked 14,114 on the Truth Laid Bear site which ranks us as a slimy mollusc on their ecosystem. That's out of well over 100,000 blogs. I think that's pretty good after only one year.

We've had well over 9,000 hits since I got the counter set up in February.

We're averaging about 75 hits a day.

I want to thank the following people for their contribution to taxmanblog

Midas, Who always seems to come up with a post when I'm bone dry.

Matt, Dave and Tom from the SOB Alliance who have done a great job in promoting conservative Ohio blogs.

Thurber's Thoughts, Nix Guy & Bizzyblog for their frequent links and comments to taxmanblog.

I absolutely hate those surveys that every store seems to want you to fill out. With that in mind, I am requesting something from my regular readers.

Please send me a comment below or an email to gtvcpa@yahoo.com and let us know what you like, what you don't like, and any other comments that would improve the blog for you. In addition, I would also like to request that you spread the word about the blog. Turn your friends on to it. That, more than anything, will help me decide what to do with this thing going forward.

Finally, I am still looking for another poster to contribute to the blog. If you have any opinions bottled up that you want to unload, please let me know. I only have two requests. First, bring something new to the debate. Second, if you and Midas try to unionize on me, you'll be fired.

The state of the blog is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats-fine blog.

Matt Hurley said...

Congrats!!!