Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why be pro-life?

Jonah Goldberg has a provocative piece titled Why be Pro-Life?

Excerpt

And that gets me to my more philosophical or principled reason for being pro-life: I just don't know. I confess that I lack passion about debates over RU-486, Plan B and other measures that terminate a pregnancy in the first few hours or days after conception, because that's when I'm least sure that a life is at stake. But when it comes to, say, partial-birth abortion, I am adamantly pro-life. I don't know if a fertilized egg has rights. But I am convinced that a baby minutes, days or weeks before full term is, simply, a baby. And despite what you constantly hear, Roe vs. Wade doesn't recognize that fact.

Like Goldberg, I struggled with the entire abortion issue until I established a faith in God and I started to get that God will make sure it all works out.

But I still believe there' s a lot of hypocrisy all over the abortion debate.

If you believe in a woman's "right to choose", do you believe in the legalization of prostitution? After all, it's a woman's body to do with what she pleases; isn't it?

If you are pro-life, let's assume a we ban legalized abortion. Should we prosecute a woman for premeditated murder if she has an illegal abortion?

God never intended life to be so tidy on this earth. He challenges us all the time with moral and ethical dilemmas. It's why we never really get any true moral clarity until we spend quiet time with God.

Despite all that, if you talk to women who have had abortions, an overwhelming majority can tell you the date they had the procedure done, all the parties involved and nearly all would tell you it was the biggest mistake of their lives. And that may be why I'm against abortion, I just don't want to see women scarred like that for the rest of their lives.

No comments: