Wednesday, March 05, 2008

School Levies

Well my community in Loveland voted down a levy yesterday 57-43. I would call that resounding NO.

So what can we expect from our local school district? Another levy vote in November. Oh, this one will be smaller and the threatened cuts will be more severe starting with football and bus service. By the way, did you ever notice they never threaten to cut valuable "administrators" from the budget.

But we'll still have to show up and vote it down again. Then they'll really cut some stuff and put the vote on a special ballot and ultimately pass they levy they wanted.

This is a tiresome process and is all too predictable.

The schools are a mandate by the state. As such, the state should be required to fund the education they mandate. If a school district wants more, they should fund it through their levies.

Until that fundamental change occurs, this levy dance will continue.

4 comments:

Joe C. said...

The suckers in my district voted for the blackmail - again. The school thanked them by delaying the start of school 2 hours - again! - for the 12th, 15th, 20th time this year that don't need to be made up, but they get paid for. Not including the 5 "calamity" (i.e. teachers' union paid vacation days). The reasons are getting flimsier and flimsier, too: it's cold - as if they teach classes outside; roads are slippery - in the winter in Ohio? No; traffic congestion - my personal favorite.

How many millions of dollars would be saved if kids actually went to school - not counting the lost productivity (i.e. money) of parents that have to stay home, miss or go to work late, or stay late missing family time. This is never discussed, calculated , or reimbursed by the blackmailers.

Anonymous said...

I am curious if the voting on the levy followed party lines. By that I mean did Dems vote yes and Republicans vote no. I voted no, and I am a Republican. My reason is, I don't think they spend money wisely..hell they give a years salary to someone who ripped them off. Also, my son informs me they just put in 3 LCD televisions in the lunchroom (for lunch menu display). There are other examples that have conveyed to me they think the money will never stop. I just feel they need to be reminded where the money comes from.

gordon gekko said...

I'm just guessing but I think school levies are less about party and more about voters with kids in schools and voters who don't.

Anonymous said...

Same arguement as always. A tax rate increase does not guarantee tax revenue increase. Nor do they encourage fiscal responsibility. In three years most of the districts that just got done bumping up the rates will probably need another levy. All in the name of "the children" of course.