Monday, March 10, 2008

What makes you a member?

Apparently, some people didn't like the fact that some republicans swapped sides and voted in the democratic primary.

Here's a letter to the editor reflecting those thoughts.

It doesn't stretch the imagination too much to think there were Republicans who voted for a Democratic candidate because they thought he/she would be easier to beat come November or because they couldn't stand the thought of one or the other occupying the White House.

I've always wondered what exactly makes you a democrat or republican? When I graduated from high school I don't remember a membership card being issued; there's no secret hand shake. No one has ever asked me for dues. I've never had to go through an initiation. Hell, I've never even been hazed by one of these parties to gain admittance.

The only thing that makes you a member.... simply saying so.

So I went to the polls last week and simply said I'm a democrat. Someone want to prosecute me for that? If you are a pissed off lib who wants some retribution; send this post to Jennifer Brunner. I want a day in court to demonstrate the absolute joke our political party system is.

The fact is the two party political system in this country is a mockery of governance in and of itself. It's like Pepsi and Coke, they know they're going to get 48% of the market place. and the other guy gets 48% but they'll do whatever they can to keep a third party from stepping in on their oligopoly.

So today I'm a democrat, loud proud and sassy; deal with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how the dems say we are perverting the system when law abiding republicans vote. Yet they practically drive illegal alians to the polling booth and want to give convicted felons absentee ballots. They are so altuistic it brings crocadile tears to my eyes.

Liberty Card said...

I worked he polls here in Orange County CA. I can't tell you how many people came in to get a Republican ballot (you have to be a registered Republican to vote in the Republican primary) only to find that their affiliation had been to Indie or NP (no pref). Either they were lying dems wanting to make sure the liberal Republican got the nod, or someone one had altered their registration (easy enough to do at the DMV..)

In LA county it was even worse. Republicans were given Democrat ballots or ballots without candidates listed.

Either I'm paranoid, or the fix was in.