Wednesday, April 09, 2008

What do I get for that money?

I just cut a check to the IRS for my extension which will be mailed out promptly on 4/15.

As I cut the check, it dawned on me, this payment represents more money than I spend on housing, clothing, and food COMBINED last year.

Now what does ole Gordon get for this money he pays the feds.

Roads - Nope, I pay for those every time I buy a gallon of gasoline.
Schools - Nope, local and state taxes I pay.
Enforcement of our borders - Nope, to my knowledge we still don't receive these services.

If you can think of one thing good ole Gordon gets from the paying the feds more money than he spends on housing, clothing and food COMBINED, please let me know; maybe I'll stop screaming when I cut these checks.

4 comments:

midas mulligan said...

I don't mind my $'s being used to fund tomahawk missiles.

gordon gekko said...

what the hell? a midas sighting

Anonymous said...

It doesn't go to Social Security or Medicare. Those were already taken out all year long into a separate bucket.

A big chunk of it goes to the administration of all the money. Another bigger chunk of it goes to pay the interest on money over-spent last year. Whatever's left after all that will "go to the children" I'm sure. Plus the government will borrow more on your behalf to pay for "things" you never asked for, and can't afford, but are told you must buy.

Talk about buyers remorse.

gordon gekko said...

I currently have a struggling self employed model for a client. She made all of $10,000 last year; not enough to feed, clothe, or house herself but she's required to pay $1500 into her retirement via social security.

I now know why models are so thin... they can't afford to eat.