Friday, September 05, 2008

Now I know what a community organizer is

Dave at Iowahawk finally explains what a community organizer is...
  • reach out and work with communities in various ways.
  • liaison with, and for, community agencies for service within affected areas.
  • fight to make a difference.
  • raise awareness.
  • deal with community issues.
  • raise awareness in the community of how we are making differences about undealt-with issues .
  • when necessary, refer inquiries to outreach coordinators.
  • Help coordination agency administrators identify and address outreach opportunities.
  • model timetables and conceptualize benchmarks.
  • issue guidelines for poster contests and interpretive dance festivals.
  • Gather voter registrations, win valuable prizes.

And that's just the beginning. Let me give you some specific examples of how community organizer organizations like CFBH are making a difference right here in Majestic Oakewoods, a subdivision off exit 242. As you know, in the year since I moved here my community has experienced a rash of crime, despair, and abandoned homes. To address these community problems, I reached out to local groups of disaffected dropout youths who were struggling with unemployment. During a rap-session kegger at my home, I spoke with them about ways they could get involved with the community and help protect the environment. Together we organized an innovative free community bicycle / metal recycling program. I am proud to say that it has been so successful that our private sector partner, Kyle's Salvage, has encouraged us to create an expanded free community car program.

More....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least somebody understands what a CO is. I am kinda still in the dark.

Anonymous said...

I have seen many "community organizers" in my day. Most would be more aptly named "community agitators".

gordon gekko said...

Is community organizer just a nice name for a free lance shit starter?