Saturday, November 22, 2008

Out of the wilderness


I moved to the city of Cincinnati in September of 1981 as a University of Cincinnati track athlete on scholarship.

Having moved here from the Columbus area I was shocked to go to my first UC football game to witness college football in front of a whopping 8,600 fans watching UC play Richmond University.

Being a UC football fan has often times resembled the Jews in the desert after fleeing Pharaoh. Years of wondering around not knowing were this thing was going.

It now looks like UC football fans may, at least, be able to see the promised land for the first time as the team suits up against Pitt tonight at Nippert Stadium. The winner of this game will have the inside track to the Big East Championship and BCS bowl bid; likely the Orange Bowl.

It's a far cry from the year UC only had three home games because Nippert had been condemned and they played in EIGHT homecoming games that year. I believe that was the year UC lost to Penn State 81-0 and Auburn 77-0.

None the less, next to the final four game in 1992, this will be the biggest game of my UC fandom.

I'll be down there tonight with pockets full of oranges. Coach Kelly, don't make me have to eat them.

GO CATS..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And they still sell beer.....

Anonymous said...

The Gekko was a track star! Cool.

Still run?

gordon gekko said...

I still run if you call 10 minute miles on a treadmill running.

Basically, I'm humping it on my bicycle to clock the times I used to run.

The older I get the better I used to be.