Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm Generous... But Only if You Give


A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that someone put this huuuuge sign in their front yard supporting the levy for this school district (which did pass yesterday).

I've been wondering since I saw that sign how much money do you think that person contributed to the public schools as a charitable donation?

I mean this person was obviously passionate about the schools but were they willing to put their money behind the sign. After all, we all give to causes that we think are legitimate, church, cancer society, kidney foundation, etc... Why not schools?

Of course they are Gordon, the tax increase meant an additional $50.00 (just assuming) on each 100,000 of home value so they were obviously willing to support it.

But let's assume the tax means an additional $125 a year for this home owner and the levy failed would they have sent a check to the schools for that extra $125 despite the levy failure?

I've completed more than 5000 tax returns over the past 10 + years and I am still waiting for someone to come in with a donation to a public school. So I think the answer to the question above is, of course this person is willing to pay, so long as we can make you pay too.

So I'll make a deal with the public. I'll start to support school district levies when I see the people closest to the schools actually kicking in before they bring it to the public.

No comments: