Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hollywood ...What do they know?

A guy I play Saturday morning basketball with, has written a screenplay and the film has been completed.

I don't want to name the film because I don't want to jeopardize the current distribution deal he's currently working on.

I've talked to him a few times regarding the film and how hard it is to get things done when you are a Hollywood outsider.

In fact, he's told me about a conversation he had with a potential producer regarding the film. His attorney told him going in not to mention that he was from Ohio. Unfortunately, during the conversation it slipped out that this guy was from Ohio and the producer said "what the hell does this guy know about making movies?"

Well, maybe he knows enough to know that he's more creative than writing Spiderman 4 or the next of the Transformer movies or Ocean's 29.

I've talked to music people that have to overcome the same issues. All these people on the coasts think that flyover country is populated with a bunch of rubes and maybe we are. After all, we keep buying the crap that these guys keep shelling out.

But you would think that in the world of self indulgent arrogance and lack of talent maybe one guy would say "you know, who better to write the movies than the people who actually watch them".

I think it's the reason the liberals on the coast don't get middle America at all. There's too much inbreeding among their collective thoughts. To quote Tina Brown "I don't know how Bush could have won the election, I don't know one person who voted for him".

Maybe she needs to get out of Manhattan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hollywood is full of talent. I'm sure that "sicko" will be the greatest fiction to come out since "an inconvenient truth"