Friday, June 29, 2007

To Catch a Predator

I wonder how Chris Hansen feels after one of their "To Catch a Predator" traps resulted in the suicide of a Kauffman County Prosecutor.

Once again, I come out as soft on child molesters. But again, you would be wrong. Show me a child who's been molested, and I'll show you a 20 year sentence for the son of a bitch.

I'm against these stings for a few of reasons.

1) How much of a problem do we have in our society with 15 year old girls looking to anonymously have sex with 40 year old guys?

2) The resources used on these crimes could be used in things like kicking illegals out of the country.

3) If I decide to rob a bank tomorrow, set up the plans, drive to the bank and as I walk in the door I get cold feet and turn around. Did I commit a crime? How do we know these guys wouldn't do the same.

4) I cannot think of another crime where the cops actively pursue and encourage someone to commit the crime.

5) I think a lot of cops get off on this.

The victim less crime detectives strike again.

1 comment:

Publius said...

This kind of sting operation happens all the time in different forms. (Don't forget about cops posing as prostitutes, arms dealers, drug dealers, or people smugglers.) But on this topic in particular, I'm glad that it happens - the sting. If someone plans to rob a bank and actually goes through with it. Usually its goes off without injury. But if a person actually commits child molestation or rape, that injury lasts for years, sometimes a lifetime.

From another angle, in many states, it is a crime to simply solicit sex from a minor. He/she doesn't actually have to go through with it. These stings just help the cops bring the pervs to them, rather than having to go to each pervs house to arrest them.

Smoke If You Got 'Em