Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Big Government

Tax Girl has an interesting post regarding the effective tax rates of the US largest companies.

The next time I hear one of the political types talk about "big oil", I'll search them out kick them in the kahunas, or change the channel depending on what's on.

ExxonMobil's effective tax rate is 34.4% that means for every dollar of profit the company earns, they pay over 1/3rd to the government; more than three times the roughly 10% the company gets to keep.

Yeah Gordon, but look at what the government does with it's profits. They invest in new equipment, explore for new reserves, employee thousands of people, upkeep for refineries, invest in alternative fuel sources, etc, etc.

Except the government does none of that. Like I've said before, if you like that deal, I'll send my buddies, Tony, Sal and Carmine over to your house and take 1/3rd of your pay. At least they'll pick up your garbage for you.

No comments: