Monday, November 05, 2007

He wants to win?

In the aftermath of another Bengals debacle, I'm listening to the talking heads saying repeatedly "Mike Brown wants to win".

Where's the evidence of that?

If I ran my accounting business in 2007 like I did when I first started in 1995, I would be out of business. Yet could I sit back and say things like "I really want a successful business"?

But Gordon, you don't have a fax machine.

"I really want a successful business"

Gordon, you need internet access.

"I really want a successful business"

Gordon, you need more computer software than Turbo tax

"I really want a successful business".

The fact is, you can talk the talk, but if you are not willing to make fundamental changes to your business, you'll never be successful. Only in the NFL can you make money and not be successful.

When Mike Brown started in this business, there was no free agency, rosters were 45 guys and the draft was 19 rounds long. You could build your team solely through the draft. If you made a mistake on a pick, no big deal.

Today's NFL is a multi million dollar operation. Players are assets, not expenses. When you invest in assets it requires some investigation beyond showing up at a combine and seeing how a player looks in underwear.

So Mike Brown can tell people he wants to win but he needs a qualifier; "I want to win as long as I can do things as I always have." Which is why he'll always be a loser.

No comments: