Thursday, January 24, 2008

Follow up


My last post created some interesting comments. But I think most people misunderstand my position on drugs and this Spitzer proposal.

I am a believer in decriminalizing or legalizing drugs. I figure if you want to burn up your brains with some crack it's not much different then killing yourself with Cheeto's. It's on you to destroy your life.

My point on throwing people in jail was simply recognizing that Spitzer is allowing a rogue element to operate with impunity within the sate. See this post.

At the same time, I understand that due to our prohibition on the drug trade, a totally independent underground economy has developed. This economy has largely operated without much impediment from the DEA, US Customs, the IRS, federal, state and local law enforcement and I'm guessing, the NY Department of Taxation.

For Spitzer to propose this for state tax receipts is lunacy. Why wouldn't they simply collect the income taxes on the drug dealers that already operate. I would bet a large amount of money it would generate more than $13 million a year.

Eric is right in one regard, many red states have tried taxing drugs as well. Most of those proposals have sought to pile on drug dealers for tax evasion as well as the drug dealing.

The fact still remains, the state government of New York is driving residents and citizens of New York out of the state with dumbass governance such as this. Does anyone leave the state because of this issue. Probably not. But it plants the seed that NY government is not competent.

Once again, I request that you look at the electoral map from 2004. People are leaving "blue" areas in droves.

I'm simply asking the question, Why?

1 comment:

Eric said...

That map is so outdated as to be comical. Don't worry. It's coming. ;-)

Too much to explain right now and I'm late for an appointment with an Arrogant Bastard and a Winking LIzard.