Friday, January 25, 2008

Is it revenue or tax collection.

One of my pet peeves is the reference to tax collections as "revenue" for the government body collecting it. I think it's a 1984 attempt to change the language. It's gotten under my crawl as I've had to instruct clients to send checks into the North Carolina Department of Revenue, the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet, etc. At least Ohio still calls their tax collectors the Ohio Dept. of Taxation.

In my little pee brain, I've always been under the assumption that revenue were sales by companies. Taxes are not sales or revenue, they are taxes.

So I thought I'd go to dictionary.com and get the actual definition of the word "revenue"

1.the income of a government from taxation, excise duties, customs, or other sources, appropriated to the payment of the public expenses.
2.the government department charged with the collection of such income.
3.revenues, the collective items or amounts of income of a person, a state, etc.
4.the return or yield from any kind of property, patent, service, etc.; income.
5.an amount of money regularly coming in.
6.a particular item or source of income.
So I guess I'll keep my mouth shut and just end my money to the Internal Revenue Service.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No comments: