Saturday, March 01, 2008

Free foreclosure lawyers

Dear Mr Newman;

I just read this article on your efforts to force the state to pay for attorney fees to individuals going through foreclosure proceedings.

I'm so glad your taking this on.

Let me tell you a little about my story. My wife and I wanted a nice house to move into. After all, it didn't seem fair that our neighbors were moving out into nice homes in the suburbs when they don't work nearly as hard as we do.

So we went house shopping and found a wonderful 4 bedroom 2 & 1/2 bath 3500 square foot house out in West Chester for $360,000. Even though there's only two of us we thought we could use the extra space and besides our whole goal was to get in at $360 and sell in a couple of years for $450,000 and use those profits to move into a $500,000 house over by the TPC.

Unfortunately, we ran into a problem. My wife works for a local credit union earning $40,000/year and I'm a self employed landscaper pulling in around $40,000 per year. Our real estate agent told us that we were going to have a problem getting approved for a mortgage because our incomes weren't sufficient for the mortgage amount. In addition, since we had no down payment, we were going to have the additional expense of PMI insurance.

After talking to some buddies in a bar, someone told me about these "stated income" loans. Where you simply tell the mortgage broker how much you make and they'll accept that as your income number.

So I filled out an application telling the broker I made $100,000 along with my wife's $40,000 and, bang, we had our home.

In order to make the payment fit our limited budget, we did a variable rate loan which got the payment down to $4,076 a month.

Now, with interest rate hikes and a recently passed school levy, our new mortgage payment is 5,102 a month. No one told us about this and we feel that were duped into buying much more house than we could afford.

So we look forward to your free legal service. I think it's totally appropriate for the state to pay for those fees when it's their fault we bought too much house. Never mind, people filing bankruptcy receive no free legal services because they were dumb and irresponsible.

So please call me when the state approves your proposal, we can use your services.

Sincerely,

John Doe
A Fraudulent Mortgage Applicant

No comments: