Monday, June 09, 2008

Congratulations Pavlik

Over the weekend, Mrs. Gekko and I made a roadie up to the Youngstown/Warren area to see family.

On Saturday, I kept hearing about the Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik / Gary Locket middleweight championship fight on Saturday night. Pavlik's a Youngstown native so all the slovak's in the family were really interested in the fight. Fortunately, our room had HBO, so I got to watch Pavlik destroy this Locket guy.

It was probably the first championship boxing match I've seen since the great Pryor/Arguello fights of the mid '80's.

Congratulations Kelly Pavlik. You did Youngstown proud. Hopefully, you can restore some honor to the game of boxing. And if you can do the same to the NBA as well, it would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I cant even watch the NBA...Celtics and Lakers my least favorite teams.

gordon gekko said...

The NBA lost me with the first Jordan retirement.

I love the 1970's NBA with the Doctor, Julius Irving, Ice man, George Gervin, George McGinnis, Kareem, Daryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins, Artis Gilmore, Bob Lanier, et al.