Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What is a "right"?

I just heard a caller into a talk show tell the host that his prescription medication was a "right"; something to be paid for by the population as a whole.

Now it's been a couple of weeks since I last read my US Constitution but I'm pretty sure that no where in that Constitution does it mention health care. In fact, I'm so sure I'd be willing to bet money on it.

None the less, the host made a good retort. None of the rights named in the Constitution (speech, religion, guns, double jeopardy etc.) costs your neighbor a dime.

I would offer that all the rights named in the Constitution are simply human rights you would expect if you were dropped off in the middle of Kansas circa 1660. But the founders saw a need to remind those in power that they couldn't just seize these rights on a whim. The founders really didn't envision a time and place where one person would be responsible for another's food, housing, and medical care.

Now a statement for those liberals who read this blog. If you are one of those people who believe in someone else paying for your health care, have the balls to go up to your neighbor's door and tell them they need to pay for your health care. In fact, my business is having an open house for my clients and friends this Friday. Show up and ask me to pay for your insurance.

But you won't do it. Why? Because it's so much more convenient to have someone else go take the money from someone to pay for your "right".

No comments: