Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Next to Thanksgiving and Easter, this holiday probably has the most meaning for me.

While some would criticize me for what they perceive as some form of jingoism, the fact is, being an American means something and it means something really great.

None of us could experience the greatness that is America without the ultimate sacrifice of so many.

It is so easy for all of us to assume that our inalienable rights recognized by the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution are a given. But when those documents were drafted that wasn't so. In fact, up to that point in history, the concept of individual freedoms had never been recognized though out human history and, to this day, continues to be threatened throughout the world.

If it weren't for people like Crispus Attucks and all those who died after him, our country would not be the free America it is today.

I never served and to me that might be my greatest regret in my life for it feels as though I'm getting a freebie....and I am.

But I will always recognize and honor the sacrifice of so many to pave the way for our wonderful Memorial Day holiday and all of the freedoms we enjoy as a result. Those soldiers did not die in vain. For the country that is the United States of America is the product of their ultimate sacrifice. For that we owe each of those people our unending gratitude.

No comments: