Monday, December 03, 2007

Why not shoot yourself

After catching up on my reading from last week, I ran across this diddy from Kathleen Parker. Apparently, people are committing abortions so they can lessen their carbon footprints.

Excerpt....

Hey, did you hear the one about the woman who aborted her kid so she could save the planet?

That's no joke, but Darwin must be chuckling somewhere.

Toni Vernelli was one of two women recently featured in a London Daily Mail story about environmentalists who take their carbon footprint very, very seriously.

So seriously, in fact, that Vernelli aborted a pregnancy and, by age 27, had herself sterilized. Baby-making, she says, is "selfish" and "all about maintaining your genetic line at the expense of the planet."

Once again, my training as a recovering liberal is kicking in. I used to have Toni's beliefs entirely. "Kids are the ultimate display of selfishness" was a phrase I recited like a mantra.

Here's a quiz for Toni. What could be more selfish than killing a baby because of it's potential carbon footprint and not killing yourself? If only your mother was so "selfless" when she was conceived.

This has always amused me about liberals. If you believe that humans are nothing more than a random conglomeration of cells & protoplasm; Why are you still here? All you are doing is wasting valuable resources this earth could use for other plants & animals that are just as deserving of them as you are.

It's not like you have a god or anything that you have to answer to. So really.... why are you still here consuming all the earth's resources?

This whole thing still makes me wonder about how liberals derive any moral code for humans. If we are just random cells, what difference would it make if I just went up to Toni and stole her purse? What if I wanted to cannibalize her? Who's to say it's wrong if she has no real purpose on this earth and is no different than the juicy cow I just had for lunch.

As we enter the Christmas season, I have to own that it takes a leap of faith to believe in the virgin birth. But it takes a hell of a lot more blind faith to believe that we're just a pack of cells lumped together with no real purpose.

If you believe that then tell me why you're still here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you do my taxes, all I can say is I am glad you are a recovering liberal---please don't fall off the wagon.