Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Wanted - a liberal to debate

When I started this blog a year ago, one of the goals was to influence people's thinking about the issues of the day. I didn't want to spend time doing another blog that simply regurgitated the Drudge Report headlines.

At least once every couple of days, I've tried to do a post that questions the conventional wisdom on an issue and I would love to have a liberal "stalk" the site to debate us on the post at hand.

But Ive started to learn that much of blogging is "preaching to the choir". People just aren't inclined to read opposing opinions.

So a couple of weeks ago I figured I'd take the "fight" to the enemy and debate issues on their sights. I began with my question to Progress Ohio on how much I should pay my employees. They've refused to answer my question.

So I've been surfing lots of liberal blogs Buckeye State, Plunderbund, Psychobilly Democrat, Dispassionate Liberal, etc. etc. and I can't find one liberal blog that actually posts on the issues. Most just post about the election and how republicans hate the poor, blacks, women, homosexuals, etc. For the past three days, I haven't been able to find one liberal blog that seeks to convert a reader to their thinking.

I'll throw this out there. If there is a liberal blog that would like to debate this blog on an issue, please email me at gtvcpa@yahoo.com and we'll work out the details.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi gordon. loved your hairdo in that movie. just now found out about your blog. saw you linked over to PB. if you look hard you'll see us taking on GOPers, wingnuts, and Christofascists all the time. feel free to do what the others do and take issue in comments. i'm sure you'll find a spirited debate. You also must not be reading closely enough as I find posts about "issues" all over the place (on all the lib blogs you mention).

i don't really agree with your underlying assumption that blogs are about converting readers to their way of thinking. Blogs are about self expression mostly. I never give a thought to whether or not I'm actually "converting" someone when I post. Then again I don't have a conversion component to my spirituality either, so that may be indicative of our differences.

maybe the others are not aware of your blog to have read and taken you on in comments here. good luck.

Jason Haas said...

Gordon -
Also just found your spot now due to your link.

While I do post frequently on campaigns, my doing so is currently defensible as we are 3 weeks from the Iowa caucus. Frankly, that is the story now.

Nor should I be considered a blog posting about how R's hate everyone. A cursory glance on my front page shows nary a post on R's, current or former, living or dead.

Now about your invitation. I too think we're often preaching to the choir, and like Eric, don't view blogs as a vehicle to sway opinion except in the margins. Not even the big boxes are capable of that. Mobilization, yes; conversion, no.

So in my limited free time, I'll try to stop by more often, you do the same. Perhaps we'll debate when so moved.