Friday, February 08, 2008

I've had it for the day

During my tax season, it has always amazed me at how so many of my days take on a certain theme.

For instance, it's amazing when my gay clients all come in on the same day, or when all my clients that day were divorced in the past year, or like yesterday, I met with three clients who had a spouse die in the past year.

Well today has a theme to it as well.

It's "dumbass personal finance day".

So I'm going to give all my readers a financial education. Let's say you and your spouse both work and make about $100,000 a year between the two of you. YOU CANNOT AFFORD A $350,000 HOUSE.

But let's say you don't follow this advice and buy the house anyway. YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO HAVE ONE SPOUSE QUIT THEIR JOB AND BE A STAY AT HOME PARENT.

But once again, you're not going to follow my advice and do it anyway. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT PULL $60,000 OUT OF RETIREMENT PLANS TO SUBSIDIZE YOUR LIFESTYLE.

But you still won't listen to ole Gordon. So when you pull $60,000 out of retirement accounts DON'T EXPECT A REFUND.... EXPECT TO OWE TAXES!

Are these the people we're going to bail out of the sub prime mortgage mess? Where do I get in line to be an irresponsible dumbass?

No comments: