Sunday, February 03, 2008

The TRUTH v relative truth

I was listening to a Cd from my church and something really caught my attention.

If you would like to hear the conversation you can find it here (The message is Strategize from 1/13. The speaker's point of interest is about the 26 minute mark of the mp3 file).

The speaker speaks of The Truth v. Relative Truth.

The point he makes. If you are a person who believes in relative truth; you are prone to bend your belief of the truth to conform to your life. If you believe in "The Truth", you are prone to bend your life around those truths.

This is not an overly religious message, but it's an excellent lesson on how we view our own intellectual honesty.

Are you a believer in absolute truths? Are you a person who thinks that truth is what democratic majority of our peers says it is? How do you discern what the "truth" actually is? Do you think the goal in life is to continually pursue "truths" without ever actually deciding what the "truth" really is (ie the goal in life is pursuit of the open mind.... not to really find the "truth")?

This really speaks to me because of my own pursuit of faith from a life of agnosticism.

It's also the place where I developed some sense of humility. It's clear that the more I know, the more I realize I don't know. I'd encourage you to listen to the message. (actually listen to all the messages in the series, it's a good one.)

No comments: