Monday, August 13, 2007

Creationism v Intelligent Design

NixGuy has a link and commentary to an article in Human Events regarding creationism and intelligent design debate.

Even though, I am a Christian and I believe much in the Bible, I've also had to wrestle with the knowledge that time appears to be problematic in the Bible.

Was Abraham over 100 when he had Isaac? Did God create the earth and all life in 6 days? Did the Jews roam the desert for forty years?

The thing I've always hung my hat on is that time is a totally human creation. God never created time. He never had to. When you are limitless, the alpha and omega, the beginning and ending. Time is not really something you have to manage. Humanity is finite. As a result, humans found a need to measure limits since they themselves are limited.

So I think, especially in the old testament stories, that much of the writing is such to expose the relative ease at which God can make things happen. Do we know that Abraham was 100? Maybe he was 40 and he always joked that he didn't feel a day over 100 and people took it as truth. I don't know.

What I do know is that my indoctrination into evolution as some type of scientific law did more to ruin my faith than any old fables in the old testament.

Once again. Just like Global Warming, Evolution is theory.... not law. There are enough gaps in unexplained evolution theory that make it just about as plausible as the most ridiculous creation hypothesis.

The day someone can take the inanimate (earth, fire, water and air) and make life out of that, give me a call. But until then, I guess I'm going to hang with this whole God thing.

No comments: