Monday, August 13, 2007

Social Conservatives for Rudy

Jay at Pro Ecclesia rips social conservatives for supporting Rudy.

I'm actually one of the so-cons that support Rudy. I am fervently pro-life but I get one key thing. No matter how pro life you are, absolutely nothing happens until we revamp a federal court system that recognizes and adheres to the separation of powers outlined in the constitution.

I'm comfortable that Rudy will appoint those types of judges that will recognize this key tenet of the constitution. I'm also a Rudy guy because I believe that abortion, gay marriage and other social conservative agenda items have no place being in the domain of the federal government; they are and always have been state issues.

In addition, you're kidding yourself if you believe that McCain, Thompson, or Romney will be able to pass anything at the federal level that's going to make an impact on any of these issues.

Remember Ronald Reagan, he was a pro life and probably a anti gay marriage candidate. What exactly changed during his administration? The exact same thing will be true when McCain, et al when they go and appoint Sandra Day O'Connor to the bench.

I support Rudy for a few reasons 1) he's not a senator, all 100 of whom I loathe. 2) He's actually run a government unlike said senators. 3) He comes from a law and order back ground which gives him the perspective of separation of powers as it pertains to crime fighting. 4) Next to Thompson, He's one of the few that can beat Hillary.

If you've read this blog enough, you'll know that I don't support GOP candidates just because they're not democrats (see Mike Dewine, Bob Taft and George Voinovich).

I want more Alito's, Roberts, Scalia's and Thomas's on the Court. In my mind, until the day that happens Mickey Mouse, might as well be president and I don't think any of the candidates can deliver that more than Rudy.

Until a conservative shows up that's actually electable, I'm with Rudy and his six or seven wives.

No comments: