Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Clear Channel Sucks

Despite the fact that I'm a free market kind of guy, I have to admit, sometimes the clowns who run these businesses are their own worst enemy.

Airlines - you won't catch me on a plane if the drive is within 10 hours. Cattle being shipped to slaughter get a better ride.

Newspapers - I bought a Cincinnati Enquirer yesterday that was about 20 pages (four if you only count the text). The Lancaster Eagle Gazette's I delivered 35 years ago had more information than this thing did. And they wonder why circulation drops?

Radio - "Free" radio on the AM and FM dials is absolutely horrible. If you tune into a classic rock station, you will hear a Steve Miller song (usually The Joker) within fifteen minutes of tuning in. Talk radio has turned into one bad syndicated show after another (see Michael Savage).

Yesterday, I read that Clear Channel canned Paul Daugherty on WLW's and Alan Cutler on 1530-Homer along with a variety of producers and staff.

I wasn't a big fan of Doc's and I hated Alan Cutler (I could never take his opinion qualifications). but the stations are basically replacing them with what class? More syndicated crap.

When the Gekko's bought our new Acura, we also signed up for the XM. Trust me when I say, it's worth every penny.

So when Clear Channel goes down the tubes along with your newspapers, they'll have no one else to blame but themselves.

Old Media - Giving you more of what you already don't want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordon,

Interestingly enough I stumbled upon your blog after Googling "Clear Channel Sucks". The reason I did this is because they are changing one of our local jazz/new age outlets to a Hispanic channel. WNUA has been the same format for 22 years and Clear Channel decided this was too long. The station was always in the top 10, but, that just isn't good enough for the morons at Clear Channel. I used to be a DJ in radio several years ago and we programmed the station for the people. Now it's just a bunch of corporate nonsense. Cheers!

gordon gekko said...

The radios stations here change formats more often than I change my underwear.

There was a time when local radio personalities created a brand and listeners.

Now radio has turned into a generic source of blah....

Thanks for the comment.