Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why a Concealed Carry Permit?

I spent all day (12 hours) yesterday at an NRA course to qualify for my concealed carry permit.

For the record, it was really a great course. I would recommend it for anyone who wants knowledge of pistols and protection. It should actually be taught in schools.

I have to admit that I was surprised with an NRA course that spent an hour of the course on how to protect your home without a firearm.

None the less, after the course, I met up with the Lovely Mrs. Gekko for a niece's birthday party. One of the parents asked me. Why are you getting a concealed carry permit?

Good question.

The reason I've been buying up guns and ammo and getting my CCP is the same reason I bought a generator and a chain saw after the winds storms last fall. The same reason I carry a can of fix a flat and jumper cables in my car. The same reason we have a fire extinguisher in our kitchen.

It's much better to have one than to need one.

Look, I'm 45 years old and I've never felt threatened to the point that I needed lethal protection. That includes my time in Madisonville & Corryville where gun shots ring out like your snooze alarm. However, the Lovely Mrs. Gekko is a nurse and meeting up with ding dongs seems to be part of her job description.

None the less, I never want to be in a position where I have to ask permission from the likes of Nancy Pelosi to determine whether or not I need lethal protection.

In addition, The Gekko's have 13 brothers and sisters and a billion or so nieces and nephews. If any of those people find the need to have lethal protection, I'll have it for them just like the generators and chain saws they could have used last fall....... if I would have had them.

Frankly, I watched the Ted Nugent video I posted last week and the thought occurred to me; he's 100 percent correct. Who is anybody to tell me that I need their permission to protect my family? It's one of the basics of human rights; it really comes before eating and drinking.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to have to get advanced permission to justify their own self protection. We should all be in a position to leave our arms at the local gun shop and when we feel the need to have one, we should just walk in and buy one; just like I'm able to buy a bowling ball when I join a bowling league and not ten years before in anticipation of joining a bowling league.

Regardless, that's the law as it is written. We have to wait make sure the state thinks we are competent enough to have a weapon to defend ourselves against the ding dongs, derelicts and douche bags of our society.

So why am I getting a concealed carry permit? I think the actual question should be............. why are you not?

2 comments:

CAVU said...

I've had one for 10 years, in two different states. i don't even carry all the time. But I agree. The right to protect oneself and family is one of those God-given rights that the Constitution says shall not be abridged by the government, much less controlled by it. I'm proud of you, Gordon.

Knight Owl said...

Congratulations!

And thank you, too! Every additional gun being carried by a Law-abiding citizen makes us all safer.