Monday, April 30, 2007

Smoking Ban

Enforcement of Ohio's smoking ban begins this week.

One of the questions I have is why do private clubs get a pass on this law?

It's a sore subject to my family since my Dad owns a bar nearby two private clubs. The clubs already have a competitive advantage over his bar because 1) their liquor license is about one third the price of his 2) they are allowed to gamble in the form of pull off bingo tickets as long as the profits go to charity 3) now they are allowed smoking with their confines.

If smoking is so horrible why are we letting the private clubs smoke? Maybe, like a lot of issues, the closer it gets to the grass roots the more likely people are to revolt against it.

In my Dad's case, these people will be flocking out of his bar to these private clubs. All my Dad does is follow the law, pays his taxes and keeps his license paid current.

Now that business will be going to private clubs who pay no tax and the vice continues.

If you are one of these do gooders (of course if you are a do gooder you've never been to my Dad's bar out of general principle), how do you compensate my father for your "cause"? or do you justify it in the name of the "common good".

No comments: