Sunday, April 29, 2007

Why bad things happen to good people?

It's my intention that whenever I'm nearby a computer on Sunday's I intend post some type of pity spiritual thought.

There's probably no better place to start than looking at the Va Tech shootings and questioning why God allows such tragedies.

First, it's important to know that God doesn't allow anything to happen to anyone on this earth.

In the beginning, God gave humans dominion on the earth as his gift to them. He made it perfect for humans in his form. His only demand was that humans not eat from the tree of good and evil. Which didn't take long for us to defy.

The other thing to note was that God places a solutions to every problem on earth. It lies within each of us. How many people did the Va Tech shooter encounter prior to the shooting who knew he had problems. Teachers, friends, police. There were people all over the place that came in contact with the shooter yet no one did anything. How many people actually "loved on him".

I could never understand what people meant when people would tell me "well God told me to..." until I actually listened. When I see someone hurting, God is using my eyes to see the problem and my compassion to generate the solution.

God speaks to each of us to solve problems. When you see someone in obvious distress, God is whispering to you "you can be the solution". It reminds me of a Van Morrison lyrics

He heals the sick
and he heals the lame
and he says you can too
In Jesus name

Jesus even commands us in Matthew 45 ".... whatever you did not do for the least of these, you did not do for me".

It's why I'm so passionate about leaving governments out of solving problems. First, I don't think governments solve anything and second, it let's us off the hook from the growing that God has intended for us.

So this week, let's all go out and make a difference in someone's life and we won't have have to ask why God "let's these things happen".

No comments: