Saturday, May 05, 2007

Gas-Out

Has anyone else been sent the May 15th Gas-Out email? An internet chain letter has been making the rounds urging drivers not to buy any gas on Tuesday, May 15th. The letter claims that a one day gas-out will cost the oil companies over $3 billion in profits.

Myron Goff of Michigan (where you get free ipods) says, "It's going to take profits away from them and that's all they are worried about - profits."

What's ridiculous about the whole thing is the idea that drivers could really put a dent in oil profits. It's not like a restaurant, where if I get bad service and stop eating there and tell all my friends, they technically could begin to lose money. There are other restaurants where I can choose to eat. But even if all the drivers in the U.S. participate in the gas-out day, all they're doing is shifting the profits to Wednesday or Thursday or Friday, etc. We have to buy gas to live normal lives in this country. Gas is a necessity. (Note: That's why my energy stocks are doing so well... Midas profits from "big oil" profits!)

I like this guy's plan: "I am buying TWO tanks of gas on May 15th. Can you guess why? I'm going to waste a whole tank driving around smacking my so-called friends in the head with a rolled-up newspaper for giving in to such idiotic nonsense."

No comments: