Saturday, January 05, 2008

Reading the Bible

I like to say that I knew so much more about the Bible before I actually read it.

So as part of my New year's resolution, I'm making a trek back around the New Testament for the fourth time. It is amazing that every time I read a chapter, it always struck with "I don't remember that at all" or "That's not how I took that passage the last time I read it".

If you've never read the Bible, I would encourage you to do so. Here are some tips that helped me.

First, buy yourself an NIV Bible with study guides. It's a tremendous help to know the context in which each of the books were written. In addition, the NIV is a much easier read than a King James.

Second, read like you would eat an elephant, one bite at a time. If you read two chapters in the old testament and one in the new, you can read the entire Bible in one year. Don't be overwhelmed.

Third, start with the New Testament (Matthew). You'll find that it builds your Bible reading muscles so when you get to the Old Testament you won't be so overwhelmed.

Fourth, understand that much of the Bible is a collection of Books, novels if you will; each with a different writer, audience and context; they are not necessarily in chronological order.

Fifth, even if you are a non believer, give the Bible a shot. Consider it a good fiction read.

Sixth, as you read the Bible, give yourself some time to ask yourself, "Is this a bunch of hooey?". I was in a Bible study group and I was amazed at the diverse interpretation of passages and flat out non belief in others. But I think that's really the essence of our relationship with God at times.

As I said earlier in the post, I knew so much more about the Bible before I actually read it. After reading the Bible, you may find that so much of what you know..... you don't actually know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember as a child my grandmother had read the Bible at least 10 times cover to cover....I always thought that was an impossible achievement.